BOARD MEMBER JOB DESCRIPTION
Start Date: October 2021
The Buena Vista Chamber of Commerce is seeking committed board members to serve on our organization’s governing body. The board member’s responsibilities include advising on strategic plans, participating in evaluations, and monitoring its financial affairs. You should also prepare for board meetings, attend them regularly, and actively participate in them.
To be successful as a board member you should have leadership experience and strong diplomatic skills. An outstanding board member will be passionately committed to the mission of the Buena Vista Chamber of Commerce: Supporting economic vitality through advocacy and partnerships.
Board Member Responsibilities:
- Knowing the organization’s mission, programs, policies, and needs.
- Preparing for meetings by reviewing the agenda and supporting documentation.
- Regularly attending monthly board meetings and participating actively and conscientiously.
- Keeping up with issues and trends that affect the organization.
- Participating in annual signature events, along with monthly networking events.
- Approving audit reports, budgets, and business decisions.
- Contributing to the development of policies and strategic plans.
- Understanding the organization’s financial affairs and ensuring fiduciary responsibilities are met.
- Ensuring the organization complies with legal requirements.
- Maintaining confidentiality on all internal organizational affairs.
Board Member Requirements:
- Knowledge of the organization and/or the Buena Vista business community.
- Sufficient time availability for meaningful contributions to the organization and Board of Directors.
- Commitment of a 3-year term with option to continue for a second 3-year term.
- Potential candidates must be nominated by a current Director or Member in Good Standing.
- If there is a Member in Good Standing that is interested in nominating you or if you would like to submit a nomination for someone, please submit a letter that includes a description of the nominee’s qualifications.
- If you would like to submit a Letter of Interest to our current Directors for consideration of a nomination, please include:
- Your reason for wanting to serve on the Buena Vista Chamber Board of Directors
- Any relevant experience or skills that you think would be helpful in this role
- Specific areas of programming and operations where you feel you could make an impact
All Nominations or Letters of Interest can be sent to
Melissa Traynham, Executive Director, firstname.lastname@example.org
by September 15, 2021